Thursday, January 26, 2012

An introduction to me

Since this is my first blog, I'm going to take the opportunity to properly introduce myself. At least, more in detail than in the "About me" that you can find on the right-hand side of the blog.
At this point in time (January 2012) I have just begun the second semester of fourth year at Mount Allison University (more on that place later). I am a History major, minoring in Religious Studies and English.
The first thing most people know about me when they meet me is that I love football. I have been in love with the sport since the tender age of six, when Eric Lapointe was running the show for the Mount Allison Mounties football team in my hometown of Sackville. I became close to Eric and his teammates, and long story short it ended up with eleven year-old me becoming the water boy for my beloved Mounties. I have stayed with the team ever since, and for the past five years have been the team's equipment manager.
In addition to my working for the Mounties, I have been an assistant coach with the Tantramar High School Titans for the past three seasons, coaching special teams and various positions on offence.
My sports experience does extend beyond football, as I have served for the past three-and-a-half seasons as the statistician for the Mounties' Womens' Hockey team, who I have covered extensively during that time.

In terms of journalism, I have spent the past few years writing for Mount Allison's Independent Student Newspaper The Argosy, the past four years on staff as the Sports Writer.
In the summer of 2011, I worked for the Sackville Tribune-Post as a reporter, writing on a variety of topics and news.
One of the many possible career options I have been thinking about is a sports journalist, and with the emergence of social media and blogging, I realized this might be a good way to get my name out into the sports journalism community and help improve my skills as a sports writer.
My blog will focus on some popular (and sometimes not-so-popular) sports topics ranging from the National Hockey League to the Canadian Football League to Canadian Interuniversity Sport. The columns will be informative and thought-provoking (hopefully) while also portraying my opinion or insight on the topic at hand. It will not be daily, weekly, or monthly, but whenever there is an appropriate topic which I think is worth writing about. I will be open to suggestions on things to write about, either through my Facebook profile, Twitter, e-mail, or comments on previous blogs.
I hope you enjoy reading my blog over the next while as I test the journalistic waters and share my thoughts on the sporting world.
Of course, all contents on this blog site will be of my own opinion and will not reflect the opinions of or represent the publications of any organization, including The Argosy and the Sackville Tribune-Post.

1 comment: